Saturday, November 11, 2006

Can we predict future???


"Destiny' is pre-written. Astrology reveals it. Wisdom, fore-knowledge and actions influence it. Destiny is written to be changed."


In India, there is no dearth of astrologers who can predict one's future based on the positions of the planets, sun and moon in less than Rs. 50. Though, the practice of astrology is not new, to some people with most of there education in sciences, the field of astrology sometimes is a little too difficult to digest.

So the big question is, CAN WE REALLY PREDICT FUTURE?
My opinion on this matter is yes and no.

Consider a very simple case. Suppose a student of mathematics, is asked to give a test in history. Before he takes the test, can't we predict whether he will pass or fail? I think yes. Most of us would agree, that there is hardly any chance that he would pass. See, we have predicted future.

Well, now you would say, that there is still a probability that the genius in mathematics might do well in History as well. Yes, he can if he is asked questions like "Who was the first Prime Minister of India?". But again there is a probability that he may not know even the answer to this trivial question.

PROBABILITY!!! That's the word, in which lies the future of me, you, this world, universe and everything beyond & above it.

The reason why everything in future is predicted with a probability and not said with 100% accuracy is that we know very little about whats happening around us and in this world. The CEO of Freescale was 100% sure that Freescale's stock will go up as soon as the news of Freescale becoming private goes live. But I didn't knew it. Again, the owners of Freescale would know, where Freescale could stand two-three years down in time but the CEO may not know about it.

I do not know how long I will live. I do not know whether I will complete a PhD or not. I do not know how much money I will earn in my life. But what I know, is to predict with a probabilty, answers to all these questions. And my prediction will be accurate depending upon how much I know myself?

And that is what I mean to say when I say that we can and cannot predict the future.

I believe that as technologies develop and means of communication develop, we are going to start predicting future more accurately. We can predict exact date of a birth of baby, which no one could have though about many years back. We can predict(to some accurracy) rainfall and season changes. We can even predict based on genes, if a child would become a good sportsperson some day. We are working on predicting earthquakes. And some time back, I even read an article where the author said that it is quite possible to predict one's age to good accuracy depending upon your lifestyle, genes and numerous other things.

To sum it up,
i) Astrologer : He is a person who knows nothing about me. However, since Sun, moon and planets exert gravitational force on us, which might have to do something with us, I think the branch of astrology will not die, atleast in India.

ii) Myself : I am the best person to know what lies ahead of me and decide what to do in future. And this what I think one of my professors at NSIT meant, when two years back I was troubled with a questions as to what should I do in future. And I couldn't agree more with him.

iii) GOD : (My definition) He is the one who is the most informed person in this Universe. And since he knows everything, he knows the future. Simple!!!

Probably, some day we will have a Super-Super Computer ("Virtual God") that would handle all the database, news and information floating on this planet.

And if I happen to design it, I will ensure it predicts the future well .


No comments: